A Line Operations Safety Audit for Maintenance Operations (LOSA-M) is a proactive, formal process requiring expert and highly trained observers.
Trained LOSA-M personnel observe operations in real-time and collect safety-related data on:
- Environmental conditions;
- Operational complexity; and
- Human performance in the maintenance facility.
Numerous threats exist in the maintenance environment. These threats can emanate from lack of resources, pressure, procedures, and more.
LOSA-M is an ideal way to identify these threats and understand aircraft maintenance technician’s (AMT) responses. LOSA also reveals how errors and undesired states are managed by the AMT’s.
We recommend that LOSA-M remains confidential and nonpunitive. LOSA-M must not be used to replace a compliance audit.
As with other types of LOSA, LOSA-M is conducted by a non-threatening company employee (typically another AMT) who takes notes on what is happening during the course of normal maintenance activities.
Once all the data are collected then a report is written and recommendations are made to management to both reinforce the positives and improve the negatives. A LOSA enables organizations to manage threats and errors so that those threats and errors do not turn into accidents and incidents in the future. With LOSA, you are being predictive—which is the ultimate form of proactive safety!
Before you can start any new program, you should first secure top management support. You may start by outlining the benefits (see below). Next, you may:
- Form an implementation team;
- Find a LOSA-M training and software package;
- Consider how to integrate with existing safety programs (SMS);
- Conduct train the-trainer training;
- Conduct observer training;
- Collect data;
- Verify and validate data;
- Analyze data and compile report;
- Debrief management and employees.
Benefits of LOSA for Maintenance Operations
- Potential insurance savings;
- Reduction in costs due to damaged aircraft and property;
- Improved employee morale; and
- Increased employee safety awareness.